Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A World of Opportunity

Why do we wait for that special date to roll around on the calender to take our lives into our own hands and attempt to shape them into better ones? Maybe the purity of a new start is symbolized by the date 01-01. Well, more diaries, blogs, and gym memberships are stared on January first than any other date, so maybe there is something to it. Keeping up with these things, however, once February rolls around, is a whole different matter entirely.
 
And yet, when we fail miserably, as we often do, at our feeble, well-meaning attempts to eat healthier, study harder, or whatever it is that we feel is lacking from our lives, another 01-01 always lies around the run of the calender, beckoning us to try, try again.
 
This year, I am trying to get my life more organized. I am trying to maximize my creative potential. I want to cook healthier food, have more time with friends, and write a novel. I am trying to paint once a week, learn the guitar, and not forget to post blog articles. Yes, I have a lot I want to accomplish. Will I get to do all of these amazing things? Maybe. We shall see. After all, the year has only just begun.
 
However, my friends, I will tell you one thing. 2013 is off to a great start. The new bed risers under our bed have substantially increased my organizational potential in this cozy one bedroom apartment. I have grown the nerve to talk to my landlady about the Brussels Griffon puppy I want to adopt, and plan on confronting her about it next week. My healthy-living is off to a "fruitful" start, due to my new juicer and a trip to Adam's. Oh, and I woke up today with a smile on my face, which I find increases productivity.
 
All in all, I have a lot to be proud of. I have kept my New Year's resolutions, if only for a day. Some people never get that far. And I have decided to take it day-by-day in 2013. The year-at-a-time is only good for buying a calender...it has a bad track record for anything else. So, when I wake up tomorrow, I plan on putting my feet on the floor, drinking a cup of freshly-made grapefruit juice, and embracing my future, one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment