Thursday, November 1, 2012

Happy November 1st!

Good Morning, and Happy November! To some of us, November means the beginning of the Thanksgiving season, the end of colorful leaves and the start of frost. To others, it may mean worrying about the election for the first few days, and then either seething or celebrating for the rest of the month. But this year, for me, and for other writers across the globe, November 1st marks the beginning of a challenge, National Novel Writing Month, in which participants have exactly one month to write a 50,000 word novel, and win bragging rights.
 
Now, at first I relegated NaNoWriMo to be an event for those who actually have spare time, aka, not me. Why, I asked myself, would I want to spend a month of my time writing a novel when I am currently attending two separate institutions of higher learning, barely see my husband as it is because we are both so busy, am trying to get my driver's licence (pitifully, at 23), and have other various commitments that come along with independent adult life? Well, I guess because I thought the pressure might actually help me finish a novel already.
 
I have been "writing novels" since I could read. I finished one once, about animals that lived in upstate New York in a fortress on an island in the middle of an abandoned blue-stone quarry, although the computer I typed it on (a big, unreliable grey box of a PC), crashed, and at 12, I didn't yet realize the importance of backing up my work (on a floppy, no less), until after that incident.Since then, I have been floundering to finish one, and at the end of this month, I may just do that.
 
This morning, I wrote nearly 5,000 words, because today, I had some time. If I can find other, random chunks of time, I may be able to slay this beast. So, her is to me, working, attending school, writing my blog, managing my relationship, not cancelling too often on my beloved family and friends, and WRITING, WRITING, WRITING, furiously, chasing that 50,000 word goal!
 
Thanks for reading, all!
 
PS. This is the link to my NaNoWriMo page...keep me encouraged if you see my word count fall!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment