Monday, November 5, 2012

Artist Spotlight: The Rambling Scholar

  
   Riddle me this, what do a Navy sailor, a bookworm, and a jewelry designer all have in common? A whole lot! Especially since they are all hats worn by my friend and fellow artist/writer/creator, Marjorie-Ann Lacharite.
 
    This month, I decided to finally start my Artist Spotlight articles, and began with the creative Marjorie-Ann Lacharite, who runs a wonderful Etsy Shop under the name “Rambling Scholar”. I came up with the idea of interviewing different people who have interesting hobbies or passions not only in order to diversify Pink Forsythia but also to introduce some of these wonderful and talented people to the world! Since I met Marjorie during my days in the US Navy, and she currently lives on the other side of the country, we conducted our interview via email.  
Rambling Scholar

Billijean: So, what sort of art are you involved in creating?
 
Marjorie: Originally, I began making bookthongs, which are bookmarks consisting of a ribbon or cord with two beaded ends. Now I’ve expanded the craft into jewelry and bookthongs alike, mostly in the steampunk style.
 
Billijean: How did you get into it?
 
Marjorie: While in training for the Navy, I wanted a hobby where I could use my hands and “shut off” my mind for a little while. Being an avid reader, I was always looking for new and creative bookmarks, so logically I began making them. Without access to classes or a teacher, I had to self-teach everything from the ground up. After my confidence grew in the art of bookthongs, it was an easy transition to use the skills I learned to begin making jewelry too. Making bookmarks and jewelry is a wonderful way to relax after a long day of work, and eventually I got so into it that I stopped making things just for myself and focused on creating for a larger audience. Yet it wasn’t until my first craft show that I was hooked, and now I spend most of my free time in my spare bedroom creating whatever comes to mind.
 
Billijean: What inspires you artistically?
 
 Marjorie: I grew up with two musicians for parents who raised me on a healthy dose of the Arts. As such, not only did it leave me naturally scatterbrained and disorganized, but it made me appreciate the way art and emotions are so tightly bound. Creating my designs is an artform as well, and I will use it as an outlet for my own emotions at the time, be they positive or negative. I will also listen to music as I work, often using a lyric or feeling from any particular song in the design itself. I’m not ashamed to admit that I have the soundtrack of Moulin Rouge, some of Owl City, and half of Sting’s albums hidden within my work. I want my jewelry and bookmarks to tell a story and evoke an emotion, even if the original inspiration can’t be seen.
 
Billijean: Are there any books, music, etc. (basically any cultural or artistic pieces) that have helped to define you and your personality?
 
Marjorie: Books. Books absolutely have shaped me just as much as music has. Nothing beats the feeling of losing yourself in a well-written story. I’ve always been partial to fantasy and science fiction, and have recently discovered the urban fantasy and steampunk sub-genres. The latter has gone a long way into shaping my outlook and especially how I design my jewelry and bookmarks. I love the feeling of potential that steampunk can give; the alternate view of what-if that Jules Verne and his contemporaries started that still has relevance today. I love the idea of a steam-powered future that maintains the elegance of the past but keeps all the possibilities of the future. Reading has allowed me see the “what if” in everything around me. To envision a new path or way of doing things, or even simply to try something new with my art that I haven’t before. That has probably shaped me and my life more than any other singular influence outside of my family.
 
Billijean: Do you have any particular artistic idol or sorts (whether it be a writer, painter, musician...anything!)?
 
Marjorie: I have to jump on the Neil Gaiman bandwagon on this one. My first introduction to him was a movie called Stardust that I simply loved, and I wouldn’t revisit him for quite some time later until I discovered his books. The man can write like few other modern writers can, with wit and heart that bring the characters to life. I love the way he incorporates fantasy elements so seamlessly into the real world that you never question it. The fantasy isn’t some omnipotent background “guide” or force, it’s an active and tangible component. He’ll put in easter eggs of mythological trivia or clues that are a delight when you get the inside joke, or just an added goodie if you don’t understand the reference. He’s accessible at all levels, but still challenges you and leaves you feeling like you’ve completed a journey by the time you put the story down.
 
Billijean: Why do you create? what drives you?
 
Marjorie: I create for the same reason that any other artist creates, I believe. Making art, be it through books, dance, music, or paint, is offering part of yourself to others. It exposes a part of you that is both frightening and thrilling, and absolutely addictive. When I begin a piece, I never go in with a set plan in mind. There may be a technique I want to attempt, or a general idea of what I want to end up with, but it isn’t until I start putting it all together that I even realize what I have. The art speaks for itself, and the more of myself that I put into it, the more I hope it can reach and touch others. Art is telling a story, and whatever that story might be, there’s always part of the artist in it. Some signature that tells you who created it. That is something that will always last, and may be the best form of immortality we have. I can touch others with my art, and when they appreciate and want to share in it with me, there’s no greater feeling in the world.
 
Billijean: Are there any websites you would like me to promote for you?
 
Marjorie:I can be found locally at craft shows in Hawaii, and while everyone is welcome to fly over here for some mai tais on the beach, an easier way of finding me and my art is through my website: http://www.etsy.com/shop/RamblingScholar. Each piece in my shop is handmade using local materials, and no two are alike. My favorite pieces are the ones commissioned by others, so feel free to let me know if you want anything altered, or if you would like something created from scratch.
 
  Here is a picture I took off of her Etsy shop, showing just some of the beautiful items that she keeps for sale there! I can attest firsthand to the lovely quality of her work, I bought quite a few pieces to give as gifts last Holiday season :)
rambling scholar
I would like to thank Marjorie-Ann Lacharite, for taking the time to sit for this interview! It means a lot to me, and so : THANK-YOU, THANK-YOU, THANK-YOU! Also, I would like to thank my awesome group of READERS! I would appreciate it if you would browse The Rambling Scholar at: http://www.etsy.com/shop/RamblingScholar

Feel free to leave a comment below, it would mean a lot to everyone involved in this interview! Thanks again, and keep reading Pink Forsythia!

No comments:

Post a Comment